Oil Field Accidents
The oil extraction industry is an integral part of Wyoming’s economy. Since the 1880s, the state has explored and drilled for oil and gas minerals and consistently ranks among the top producers nationally.
While the oil industry brings many jobs and sources of income to Wyoming, the occupational hazards oil field workers face have become known to be among the most dangerous jobs. Long hours, the use of heavy equipment and machinery, volatile underground pressure, large vehicles, and highly combustible materials all create an environment vulnerable to accidents and injuries.
Due to the dangerous nature of an oil field job site, federal and state regulations are in place to maintain a safe and environmentally conscious work environment. When these regulations are skirted or violated, causing injury or death, victims and their families can be entitled to damages.
The Fitzgerald Law Firm has handled many cases of serious injury and death in the oil field. Sometimes, these cases begin with explosions and fires, sometimes from poorly maintained equipment, and sometimes from a lack of training and supervision. Regardless of how an injury occurs, our firm works tirelessly to hold those responsible accountable for their negligence.
Common Oil Field Accident Injuries
- Motor Vehicle Accidents. Vehicle accidents are one of the most common sources of injury and death in the oil and gas industry. Companies rely heavily on the transportation of materials to and from job sites and workers regularly operate large machines and vehicles within job sites. Workers are required to maintain vehicle inspections and appropriate licensure.
- Burns. First, second, and third-degree burns are all common oil field injuries. The severity of the burn will relate to the source of the burn: a small fire will be less damaging than an explosion.
- Falls. Many workers work from high places and require specific safety measures that can lead to falls if not properly harnessed or otherwise malfunctioning, resulting in severe injury.
- Chemical Exposure. Sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen fluoride, acids, and other carcinogens are all used regularly at a job site and can have serious – and long-lasting – health repercussions if handled incorrectly. Proper training and protective gear are necessary safety measures when working with potentially harmful chemicals.
- Head and Brain Injuries . The most common head injuries seen by medical providers are concussions, skull fractures, and facial lacerations, all of which can potentially lead to neurological damage.
Oil field injuries like the ones listed above can lead to severe disability or loss of life, leaving injured workers unable to cover medical treatment or provide for their families. It is important to seek assistance from a highly experienced oil field accident attorney as early as possible following an incident to advise on the details of your particular case.
Job Site Regulations
The United States Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) establishes federal laws and regulations to help organizations and companies operate within safety standards in an effort to protect employees. The state of Wyoming adheres to those regulations and, in addition, abides by standards provided by the Wyoming Department of Workforce Services to uphold safety regulations on the state level, initiate inspections, and conduct investigations.
How Our Wyoming Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help
Like many personal injury cases, injuries that occur at a worksite easily become complex as employers are required to conduct an investigation, gather evidence, and identify the cause. In order to pursue a case, an attorney can also help you gather your own information and eyewitnesses, and handle insurance claims. Finding a personal injury attorney who is experienced in oil field worksite injuries is crucial.
Not only is Jim Fitzgerald an experienced oil field accident attorney, but he also gained important, ground-level knowledge while working in the oil field for several summers while in college.
He has experienced firsthand the dangers of working in the industry and the importance of maintaining a safe work environment for every job role in the field.
The Fitzgerald Law Firm in Cheyenne, Wyoming has successfully represented oil field accident victims and their families for decades. Contact our firm today to discuss the full extent of your case, and receive the legal support you need to heal and recover.
JUSTICE IS HEALING.
The Fitzgerald Law Firm Wyoming personal injury attorneys hold the record for the largest verdicts ever upheld on appeal in Wyoming for injuries and wrongful death.
For over 40 years, our personal injury law firm, based in Cheyenne, has delivered extraordinary results for clients all over the United States with our cornerstone belief: finding the truth and justice.
Schedule a FREE Consultation
If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed, you are welcome to contact us today for a free case evaluation.